Friday, April 11, 2008

Laptop Requirements

What kind of laptop would a dance/journalism student need ?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so NEW at this...I can't believe I'm going off to US and I'll have to do everything by myself there... like update my own Antivirus programmes..and like..clean my computer's hard disk drive and all..shoot..what if my comp gets bugged down by a virus and shuts down ? I'll lose my only source of communication with the outside world ! VOICE 2002 in Stephie's head says : STEPHANIE LEE SU-LING, STOP WORRYING / HYPER VENTRILATING. GET ON WITH THE PROGRAMME. Strangely, I obey. Voice 2002 sounds very much like Mom's voice..and a mixutre of Pn Jugdeep's , Mrs Jeya's, Aunty Wong's, and Celeste's too.

Okay, since I'm a student, I'd be carrying my laptop around, since chivary is dead, I presume no cute guys will be offering to carry it for me anytime round, correct, no ? Magnifique ! We have a start.

Some tips I got from a friend;
Before buying a notebook, make a list of "must have" and "nice-to have" features, so you won't be tempted to buy more features than really need.

Ah ha ! Good good idea !








SLSL's LAPTOP MUST HAVE / BE

1) LIGHT

I'm thinking of an ultra-portable. Wow, the name just rolls off your tongue so nicely ;)

According to an article I ripped off PC World.about.com :

Light Duty on the Go

Thin-and-light notebooks (also called subcompacts and ultraportables) with built-in Ethernet and Wi-Fi networking make ideal second computers for handling business applications such as word processing and spreadsheets, e-mail, and Web surfing when you're on the road.

Pros: At 3 to 5 pounds, thin-and-light notebooks weigh considerably less than other laptops, so they make better traveling companions. Because they're compact, with smaller screens (usually 10.6 to 12.1 inches), they fit more comfortably in a briefcase and on an airplane seat-back tray. Built-in Ethernet and Wi-Fi ( Stephie like... ) lets you make high-speed Internet connections, both wired (in, say, a hotel room) and wireless (at a Starbucks or airport lounge). Ultraportables frequently offer a long battery life of 3 to 5 hours, too.

Cons: Subcompacts rarely offer the fastest processors. Their keyboards can feel cramped, and their small screens make them unsuitable for some applications, such as serious spreadsheet crunching.

Dell, Fujitsu, and IBM each offer thin-and-light models you might want to consider.
Actually I'm very much in love with the VAIO laptop right now...and the I book...they look so cool !!! But they're more like multimedia laptops right ? For people who're into design, and flashy PowerPoint presentation, and want all those sophisticated programmes to Photoshop their pics better ( Haha, joke,joke, no offense intended ) . Not really for this babe. I won't have time to sit around toying with 'em programmes. But yes, I will consider Dell, Fujitsu, and IBM.

2) AFFORDABLE

I think I'll budget for RM 3000, plus minus another 100. I think I have just enough in my savings account to buy meself me own lappie..And I really don't want to use Dad's dough.

I did think of going to US and buying myself a lap top there but...I've so much data ( read : pictures, articles, documents, programmes, dvds, music ) to carry across the Altantic.


I have to burn all my music, documents, essays, programmes, movies maybe even some pages of some of my favourite books,etc into the laptop/ pendrive before I go because I jolly well ain't carrying a truckload of CD's and journals and school documents and pictures of my dog.

Which is why I have to get started on scanning all my stuff and saving it into my pen drive. So no matter where I am, I will still have pictures of my Scholar of the Year award, Dance Mag articles, dance posters, my PMR result slip, emo rock songs, entries of my Year 2000 journal,..all those little things to remind me of myself and who I am, in case I ever lose my way. Kudos to Mom who gave me this idea when she found me sobbing because I discovered I couldn't carry ALL my stuff to US.

3) This brings me to the 3rd requirement of Stephie's Lappie. a HUGE MEMORY SPACE. I think I might take a look at one of those flash memory modules...what are those anyway ? I think 1 or 2 USB ports are enough, right ? Just for pendrives...What are Firewall ports btw??

4) A MULTIFORMAT BURNER. For all my CDs and DVDs.External or internal ? I think I'll try to get an external one. Just in case if I need to repair it, then I'll have to lose the whole laptop to those evil computer fixers if I have an internal one right ?

5) WEBCAM. Hello, don't you all want to see my beautiful face ?

6) BATTERY LIFE. At least my new lappie has to last about 5 hours...without recharging. Don't think I should get a 2nd battery, wouldn't make much sense..

7) MICROSOFT OFFICE programmes. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, all the basic programmes. I'm wondering whether I should have them pre installed to save trouble & time or do it myself since I will have time/ will make it at any rate, then I can have all the cool stuff I want. And I was thinking of whether I should take Windows XP or Vista. Vista looks so cool...but XP is safer and more reliable..Besides, Vista takes up all that memory space and slows laptops down.

Oh yea, I want all those cool digital media/ design & multimedia programmes too ! Can anyone recommend ? Plus I want the VCD Gear programme...

8) WI FI & INTERGRATED BLUETOOTH. I have to get one with a Wi-Fi card that meets the Draft N standards and a Bluetooth 2.1 with an Enhanced Data Rate ( EDR ) Draft N's basically means faster and a broader range of WI FI connectivity. EDR means I can bluetooth things to and from my computer at a faster rate. Yay, everything must be fast fast fast !

9) POWER SAVING FEATURES AND AS ECO-FRIENDLY AS POSSIBLE. Don't look at me like that, we should all try to save the planet in as many little ways as we can ! Besides, power saving features are good...

10) A VERY VERY GOOD & COMFORTABLE KEYBOARD.

Oka7, my mom is back so we're leaving for the PC fair in a bit..wish me luck ppl !!! AND TELL ME IF THERE"S ANYTHING I MISSED OUT !!! Besides my nice-to-have list.......

No comments: